Well, the process of getting hired is not always easy and quick. The job process tends to get lengthy, depending on the company and their ways of doing job interviews.
However, today’s many companies have processes that start with screening to having third interviews even.
In addition to the hiring manager, it includes managers, staff, and other employees. Well to understand the process of the interview that you have to go through, here is what can help.
What Are The Steps Included In The Interview Process?
Well, the steps in the interview process might depend on the company and its hiring strategy. However, the common one that you might find in most of the company includes steps like :
A screening interview is a type when it comes to job interviews. Its conducted for determining if the applicant has all the qualifications which are needed for the job and the company/
Such interviews typically are the first process and step when it comes to hiring.
However, if the company is starting an open hiring candidate, this step might be skipped at that point.
Well, the opportunity is used for:
- Providing the description regarding the company and the exposition they are hiring candidates for.
- Ask questions if the candidate meets the basic requirement and if the position matches what the candidate is looking for.
- Answering the question regarding the candidate, the company, and the role along with the hiring process.
The interview can be conducted either over the phone or in person. Well, the process is important as it determines if the candidate is going to move to the next phase of the process or not.
In order to prepare for the screening interview, here are a few of the pointers to remember.
- Review the required and preferred qualifications which the company is looking for the candidates as well as for the main responsibilities.
- Make sure you are taking note of key responsibilities along with education, skills, etc.
- Research about what companies do offer, and what mission they have.
- You need to be ready and prepared with a description of your precious position that can help in proving your abilities.
- You need to practice the interview with a friend, make sure you are using the mock interview for getting yourself ready for the real one.
- Once the screening interview ends, you need to ask the question too, so prepare some important and useful questions for the interviewer.
Employees do phone interviews in order to identify and recruit the candidate.
This type of interview helps in narrowing down the wide pool of applications who will be invited to the interviewers in person.
In some companies, this might be the only interview they do.
Before you get on the telephone for the interview for doing the job, Here are some of the preparation you should do for a phone interview :
- If you are getting advance notice for the interview, you should spend some of the time reviewing the job and doing research regarding the company.
- Make sure to be ready for the phone interview, and get all your answers and questions ready.
- Take time to match the qualification you have for the job inscription so you speak strong.
- Make sure you are feeling comfortable and ready, so keep the job materials where you are having the conversation.
It’s important for the candidate that they are being appropriate when they are doing the phone interview, and that you should be aware of what etiquette you should follow to give the best impression.
Here are the pointers to remember –
- Let the people in the house know that you are going to receive a call so they give you the space.
- Also, answer the phone by introducing yourself or saying your name so the interviewee knows they are talking to the right person.
- Keep your tone upbeat and try to smile when you speak.
- Some interviewers do the small talk before the interview, so make sure you are following the lead.
- Also, you should not speak or ask anything until the interviewer is finished with their question.
- Keep a notepad with you to mention what you need to ask for the interview.
- Don’t lead to too much dead air, if you want them to re[eat what they said, make sure to do that.
To make sure that you are acing your phone interview, you can also follow some of the tips such as :
- You should have a checklist where you match your qualifications with hiring criteria.
- Have your resume with you, so you know what you have written and answer questions.
- Be ready to take notes, and keep a pen and paper with you.
- Turn off call waiting so your call does not get interrupted. Let people out and ask them to give you space so you can have a conversation.
- Use a landline instead of a cell phone, as you can help in avoiding situations such as dropped calls and poor reception.
For remote jobs, there are a lot of companies that do interviews using Skype or Video. With some positions, you can work onsite, but some offer a combination of both in-person and remote interviews.
Your interview may be a live conversation that you do with the hiring manager. Or you can be invited to participate in an on-demand interview where you have to record your answers to a series of questions asked by the interviewer.
The video platform might be dampened the company, however, the Resume Go survey reports that a lot of the employers use :
- Zoom: 43%
- Skype: 12%
- Goggle Meet Or Hangouts: 19$
- Microsoft Teams: 7%
- Cisco Webex: 5 %
- Others: 14%
Also, most of the interviews last-
- Under 30 minutes: 36%
- Between 30 to 1 hour: 48%
- Over 1 hour: 16%
However, preparing for the job interview, especially for a video interview is important. Take your time, and it will help you in doing an interview with less stress
Here are pointers to do the avoidance planning :
- Do a trial run of how you are supposed to interview before day one or two.
- Check your headset and webcam, as everything is working.
- Make sure to use the same setup for the interview, so you know everything is working in the right way.
- Keep the camera to eye level, not below or above in order to avoid any poor angle.
- No matter if you are having everything in your reach regardless of where you are setting it up.
Focus on what you are wearing, keep in mind that the camera shows you differently as a real person sometimes. So check beforehand that you are looking presentable.
Well most the job interview especially in video calling follows a process, it includes:
- The company chooses the candidate with whom they will do the video interview.
- Then they arrange the schedule when the interview is scheduled.
- The company gives the instruction on how the interview is going to be conducted
- They ask mostly 10 – 15 questions regarding the job in order to see if you are a good hire or not.
When you are going for the video interview, it’s important that you are aware of what employers are looking for so you can be the ideal candidate.
Here are some pointers for you to understand.
- Answer the question that they ask you and be as direct as you can be. don’t drag and add unnecessary details to make your answer complicated.
- Show your creativity when you are giving the interview, it should reflect in your way of responding to the answer.
- Focus on making yourself groomed and dressed and practice how you would answer.
- Video can get the foot on the floor, but make sure you are making everyone easier for you and have the application ready.
Well, the first in-person interview is basically one on one interview between the hiring manager and applicant.
The Interview will ask questions about skills and experience along with work history, accountability as well as qualification.
However, in order to prepare for the first interview, you need to do basic few things such as :
- Do research about the company and hiring manager you are going for the interview, they like when the candidate knows about the company.
- Make yourself some time so you can learn about the job and the position you are applying for.
- Practice interviews can help you in understanding how you are supposed to do an interview and help in reducing nervousness.
- Make sure you get the references of the people who can give it to you such as coaches, family friends, neighbors, teachers, etc.
- Also, pay attention to what you are wearing, choose something simple and appropriate attire for the position you are going for the interview.
After your first one-to-one interview, you have the second interview which is more in-depth and detailed.
It can be either with the person you did a one-to-one interview with or a day-long interview including meetings with other people from the company.
It includes management, executives, staff members, and other company employees.
The preparation for the second interview is divided into two parts, the first one is to do the preparation and the second one is the execution.
However, to make sure you are doing it well, here is what you need to do :
- You should be aware of the agenda for the second interview, sometimes it can be dyed long where you have to meet with different people.
- Make sure you ask directly the hiring manager about how long the interview might take.
- Take time and do the research, learn about common people and the people they are adding to the interview.
- You may ask the question that you asked for the first interview. However, for a second interview, you need to come up with something interesting and in-depth.
- Was there something that you required to ask but didn’t do during the first interview, make sure to use the opportunity well for the second time?
However to be ready for the second interview, there are some the tips that can help you, these include:
- Make sure you are keeping yourself energetic and enthusiastic as the second interview tends to belong and you need to meet different people.
- Also, you need to be ready to answer the same question, as there might be something they want to know.
- When you are asking the repeated question, add more details and examples to make it refreshing and understandable.
- Make sure you have examples to back up your answers and add depth to them.
- The natural tendency is to answer the most comfortable interview when you are in a group meeting, however, you need to make eye contact and be ready to talk confidently.
- Don’t forget that the interview is going to evaluate everything even if you are not answering.
When you make it to your first interview and second, the next one you have to face is the third interview.
A Lot of companies do a second interview which includes knowing if you are going to get the job, however, there are different companies that also do the third interview.
And possibly more, the third interview includes the final meeting with the hiring manager and knowing more about your colleagues.
Well to prepare for the third and more interviews, you already have done the research. So it includes different pointers such as :
- Check about the recent news and articles about the company, so you have something to talk about for the third interview.
- You can also set the google alerts so you get the update from time to time.
- Check the website if they uploaded and updated something.
- Consider upping preparation so you are well informed and have knowledge about the company you are going for.
However to ace the third interview, you are going to need some tips as well, it includes :
- Review the notes that you have written in the previous interview. You can recall what you said and what you should have added.
- You need to come up with stories that can help you in showing your strength and capabilities.
- Well for the third interview, the company mostly informs who is going to be the part of it, so you can look up and see more about them.
- Speak with proper manners and confidence so you are showing your best self.
Dining with the job candidate helps in allowing the employer to review the interpersonal and communication skills along with table manners. Also knowing you are out of the office, and in a much more relaxed environment help in understanding as an individual.
Well, it depends on the interview process and what kind of job you are applying for. There are different companies that also do lunch or dinner interviews.
Well when you are going for the dinner interview, make sure you are dressing as you would do for the interview for the office.
Also, it’s important that you are being polite and saying please as well as thank you.
With that, remember your table manners so you are not shown an unprofessional side of yours.
However with that, when you are going for the interview dining, you need to follow some of the etiquettes, which include:
- Make sure you arrive early as you would for the office interview.
- Also arriving early helps you in setting your nerves and being more ready for the interview.
- When you are going for the dining interview, make sure you put your phone on silent or turn it off so it won’t disturb you.
- Be careful when you are ordering something from the menu, don’t avoid something expensive as it might show you crass behavior.
- Also, avoid being a slob, and for that, you need to avoid food that is messy and difficult to eat.
- Take small bites and swallow them properly, don’t speak when you are eating.
- Once you are done, keep the utensils at four o’clock and place the napkin, make sure it’s folded to the left side of your plate.
- At the end of the meal make sure that you thank the interviewee and don’t offer to pay the bill or tip as it’s covered by the company.
The final interview is mostly the last step when it comes to the interview process and interview where they find out if you are going to get the job or not.
It’s likely to be the last point of contact, and also the last chance to give the impression that you are a potential candidate or not.
However it depends on the position, but most of the time the final interview is conducted by the senior leadership or if it’s a small business then maybe CO or founder.
Sometimes the interview might be conducted by the same person. There are high chances that you meet more people as it including co-owners and other employees.
Well to make sure you are acing the final interview, here are some of the pointers that can help.
- Don’t assume that you have already gotten the job, however, you should be proud that you completed all the levels.
- But make sure you are presenting yourself as a top person without being arrogant and don’t get too comfortable or let your guard down.
- You should also make sure that you are prepared for the interview, and make sure you have the question at hand about the role and the company.
- Don’t ask about the sake of it, you should not depend on the basic question but come with something more and eth and that actually matters.
- You can also take advantage of the final interview to make your answer perfect if you missed some details in the previous one.
- You should also review the interviews you have done so far, and use them to understand how the final interview will go and what they are looking for in the ideal candidate.
- Make sure you are professional. It includes dressing according to the event.
Review Interview Question And Answers
Well regardless of where you are going for the interview and which process you are currently on, it’s important that you do the practice of interviewing. It will help you in preparing the typical interview and questions that are asked at every step.
Also, you need to be ready with questions that you need to ask.
Following Up After Each Step
Even though you might believe there is a lot of work, especially when you have done multiple interviews. But make sure you are doing the proper follow-up after each step you are done with the interview.
In fact, it’s the most important step and it can help you in getting the position.
Along with that, you need to send a thank-you note, it can be an email or phone call.
It includes the opportunity for :
- Highlighting the qualifications which are relevant to the job.
- Showing that you are ethical for the role.
- Mention the details that you might have skipped in a previous interview or add something to make it more understandable.
Well when you are sending the follow-up email or letter, you need to understand what you should add to it, it includes :
- You need to use the follow-up note for promoting your candidacy and interest in a job for the company.
- Also, highlight the relevant skills that match with what the company is looking for and show how you are a perfect candidate for the match.
- Mention anything that you wanted to say but didn’t, this opportunity brings the chance that you can get a moment to talk about what you want.
- If you misspeak something during an interview, you need to add it in the note, say it again, and clarify what you wanted to say.
- Make it easy for your interviewer to know how they can get back in touch with you so add the phone number and email address.
In order to make sure that your follow-up email message and thank you letter is top-notch, here are some of the tips that you should follow.
- Send a thank-you note or email to everyone who was interviewed.
- During the interview make sure that you note down the pointer that you can use for the follow-up note and also take the business card to easy contact.
- Review the thank you letters and the examples to understand what you can write and templates are easy to know about the right way.
- Email is the fastest way that you can say thank you especially when the interviewer is hinted that the decision is going to be quick.
- Consider sending a thank you note but handwritten, this can help in adding more personalization and emotions.
- Don’t wait for too long, the follow-up email should be sent within 24 hours and sooner.
- Make sure you have proofread the letter before you send it so there is no misspelling or anything else.
Well, you might have received the job offer contingent on the credit check, and background check.
This is conducted prior to the company doing the job offer to the candidate. With this, the company learns about what the candidate is about and checks the credentials to make sure you are good for the position or not.
Well, the last step is the job offer when the company finds you are a perfect candidate for the position.
However even though it’s a final step and you successfully passed all steps, it’s still an important step to be ready for.
Here the job offer can come with the additional conditions attached, so you need to carefully read everything in order to be sure you agree to the terms.
Before you carpet the job offer consider doing the counteroffer. Also, you don’t have to be in a rush as you can take time to understand if you are satisfied with the terms and conditions.
Here you can either accept or decline the job offer depending on what you feel about the job.